We met in 1999! We were both 20 years old. Marc was a missionary in Tahiti, and I was a brand new investigator. My cousin invited me to a fireside held by the missionaries (including Marc). After the fireside, Marc's companion, a former classmate and childhood friend of mine, came to say hi. He introduced Marc to me. I remember that day as If it was yesterday :). Marc leaned on one of the wall in the Church and I for some reason thought he was shorter than I am. He looked at me and asked me if I knew that there was 63 Bennetts in the phone book in Tahiti, seriously he did. At first, I thought man is that weird or what. Really, who counts names in the phone book... anyway. Our first time meeting each other lasted a whole 10 or 12 minutes. We said good night and went our separate ways.Marc told me later on that he thought I was hot when he first saw me that night, hahaha!!! I seriously wish I had a scanner so I can scan the pics I have from back then.
7 months or so after our first meeting, my cousin came and asked if I could write a little note to go with a present (Hawaiian shirt) she bought for "Elder Bennett" who was going home. He was done his duty and it was time for him to come back to Canada. I agreed to help her, and wrote him a farewell note. My cousin asked me if I could write it because she wasn't really good at writing.
A few weeks later, my cousin came and asked me if I could write a letter this time. She wanted Marc to send her a photo of him wearing the shirt she had bought. Once again I agreed! This is the first of many letters to follow. The beginning of our pen paling and friendship.
Nice as he is, Marc responded to the letter and sent my cousin a photo. As you may have noticed, my cousin had a little crush on Marc :). At first, I was just her writing hand and wrote whatever she wanted me too. Marc knew I was the one doing the writing, and would often asked me a few questions about myself in his letters. We did that for a few months then my cousin moved to another island to work. Somehow, we decided to keep writing to each other. NO, I DID NOT STEAL HIM FROM MY COUSIN.
By then, we have come to know a lot about one another. I knew about his family, work, school, dating plans and all. Same for him. I shared a lot of things with him that even my closest friends, and family members didn't know. Every time a date wouldn't go through for either one of us, we get a letter in the mail that would just make everything go away. We were faithful at writing our letters months after months. Little by little, I noticed that the tone in Marc's letters was changing. He would in a subtle way "flirt" with me. It was flattering but I never really saw him as a potential date. He was my good friend, my best friend even, since we were sharing a lot about each other like our biggest dreams. I did love him then but just as my best friend. It has been a year now since that first letter. We decided to finally use emails. We still wrote letters, and sent them through the post office but emails were faster. I loved to see Marc's hand-writing and see all the drawings that accompanied each letters and also the photos but with the internet, we sometimes were able to chat :))). More months went by. One day, Marc told me that he was coming to Tahiti to see "some" friends but he didn't know where to stay. I asked my parents, and they said yes. We made all the preparations for his visit.
Nice as he is, Marc responded to the letter and sent my cousin a photo. As you may have noticed, my cousin had a little crush on Marc :). At first, I was just her writing hand and wrote whatever she wanted me too. Marc knew I was the one doing the writing, and would often asked me a few questions about myself in his letters. We did that for a few months then my cousin moved to another island to work. Somehow, we decided to keep writing to each other. NO, I DID NOT STEAL HIM FROM MY COUSIN.
By then, we have come to know a lot about one another. I knew about his family, work, school, dating plans and all. Same for him. I shared a lot of things with him that even my closest friends, and family members didn't know. Every time a date wouldn't go through for either one of us, we get a letter in the mail that would just make everything go away. We were faithful at writing our letters months after months. Little by little, I noticed that the tone in Marc's letters was changing. He would in a subtle way "flirt" with me. It was flattering but I never really saw him as a potential date. He was my good friend, my best friend even, since we were sharing a lot about each other like our biggest dreams. I did love him then but just as my best friend. It has been a year now since that first letter. We decided to finally use emails. We still wrote letters, and sent them through the post office but emails were faster. I loved to see Marc's hand-writing and see all the drawings that accompanied each letters and also the photos but with the internet, we sometimes were able to chat :))). More months went by. One day, Marc told me that he was coming to Tahiti to see "some" friends but he didn't know where to stay. I asked my parents, and they said yes. We made all the preparations for his visit.
December 19, 2001: Marc arrived in Tahiti. We picked him up at the airport really early that morning. You have to know that at this point Marc had prayed and asked Heavenly Father if I was the one for him.
My family was really excited to meet him. For the longest time they called him Bennett because he was an elder, lol. Of course rumors were spread in my family such as "Bennett is coming to marry her" or "they are in love" or "he is her boyfriend", etc etc... I DID my very best to let people know that I WASN'T in love with him and I WASN'T going to marry him either, lol! The same day (after we all had a little rest), we went to my uncle's house then Marc and I walked down town. I bought Marc some lunch, and we decided to eat it at the City hall. The City hall down town is really huge. Lot of people go there for lunch. It's quiet, and it has a beautiful garden with a fish pond :)... we had our lunch then we went on one of the balcony of the city hall that overlooked the city. We talked a lot! At one point during our conversation, our eyes met. The way he was looking at me was telling me a lot about the way he felt. He had the softest, shiniest way of looking at me :). Even today, Marc will look at me the same way he did all those years back. I fell in love with my best friend on that balcony that beautiful day of December. I didn't tell anyone that I was in love. After doing my best to quiet the rumors about us, I didn't want to give my family the satisfaction of telling me "WE KNEW IT"....
December 21, 2001: We started to hold hands secretly without anyone knowing. We walked pretty much every where we wanted. Went to the beach. Had a secret spot where we could hold hands without worrying about anyone from my family knowing :))))
December 23, 2001: We had our first kiss. There's a really funny story there too.
January 01, 2002: Marc proposed, and I didn't really say yes :))))
My family (except for my siblings) still didn't know Marc and I were in love. They all found out about it the day Marc left Tahiti. I gave him a kiss in front of every single members of my family that were there. My dad didn't say anything but my mom didn't really look happy, lol.
After that we kept writing to each other.
A couple months after he left, Marc sent me tickets to come visit him in Canada, and meet his family. And here I was in Canada for the first time in may 2002. I stayed for a whole month and was invited to Marc's brother Matt's wedding. I had a lot of fun. Marc spoiled me, and I got to see and do things I have never done before. Leaving Canada was really hard. We both knew we were meant for each other but we lived so far away. I seriously thought when I left that we were not going to see each other ever again. We would just write then one day one of us will get tired of it.
However, 2 weeks after I came home, Marc gave us a surprised visit. He asked my dad if he could marry me. Isn't he sweet? Although they weren't 100% happy, my parents agreed. They were afraid that I was going to leave them, and move in Canada. It wasn't our plan at first but I did move. I know how hard it was on them but am so grateful that they recognized the love Marc had for me, which led them to give my husband their "benediction". Marc went home to apply for a visa to stay longer, and came back. We planned on getting married in November but that didn't happen.
December 21, 2002: We got married!
A lot had happened after this day.... December is such an AWESOME month :)
January 10th, 2012: Our miracle baby was born :))))
In a couple months we will be celebrating our tenth anniversary. Together, we've gone through many trials from illness to homelessness to religious persecutions and so on. We made it through! Here's to more wonderful years together. I LOVE MY HUSBAND.
My family was really excited to meet him. For the longest time they called him Bennett because he was an elder, lol. Of course rumors were spread in my family such as "Bennett is coming to marry her" or "they are in love" or "he is her boyfriend", etc etc... I DID my very best to let people know that I WASN'T in love with him and I WASN'T going to marry him either, lol! The same day (after we all had a little rest), we went to my uncle's house then Marc and I walked down town. I bought Marc some lunch, and we decided to eat it at the City hall. The City hall down town is really huge. Lot of people go there for lunch. It's quiet, and it has a beautiful garden with a fish pond :)... we had our lunch then we went on one of the balcony of the city hall that overlooked the city. We talked a lot! At one point during our conversation, our eyes met. The way he was looking at me was telling me a lot about the way he felt. He had the softest, shiniest way of looking at me :). Even today, Marc will look at me the same way he did all those years back. I fell in love with my best friend on that balcony that beautiful day of December. I didn't tell anyone that I was in love. After doing my best to quiet the rumors about us, I didn't want to give my family the satisfaction of telling me "WE KNEW IT"....
December 21, 2001: We started to hold hands secretly without anyone knowing. We walked pretty much every where we wanted. Went to the beach. Had a secret spot where we could hold hands without worrying about anyone from my family knowing :))))
December 23, 2001: We had our first kiss. There's a really funny story there too.
January 01, 2002: Marc proposed, and I didn't really say yes :))))
My family (except for my siblings) still didn't know Marc and I were in love. They all found out about it the day Marc left Tahiti. I gave him a kiss in front of every single members of my family that were there. My dad didn't say anything but my mom didn't really look happy, lol.
After that we kept writing to each other.
A couple months after he left, Marc sent me tickets to come visit him in Canada, and meet his family. And here I was in Canada for the first time in may 2002. I stayed for a whole month and was invited to Marc's brother Matt's wedding. I had a lot of fun. Marc spoiled me, and I got to see and do things I have never done before. Leaving Canada was really hard. We both knew we were meant for each other but we lived so far away. I seriously thought when I left that we were not going to see each other ever again. We would just write then one day one of us will get tired of it.
However, 2 weeks after I came home, Marc gave us a surprised visit. He asked my dad if he could marry me. Isn't he sweet? Although they weren't 100% happy, my parents agreed. They were afraid that I was going to leave them, and move in Canada. It wasn't our plan at first but I did move. I know how hard it was on them but am so grateful that they recognized the love Marc had for me, which led them to give my husband their "benediction". Marc went home to apply for a visa to stay longer, and came back. We planned on getting married in November but that didn't happen.
December 21, 2002: We got married!
A lot had happened after this day.... December is such an AWESOME month :)
January 10th, 2012: Our miracle baby was born :))))
In a couple months we will be celebrating our tenth anniversary. Together, we've gone through many trials from illness to homelessness to religious persecutions and so on. We made it through! Here's to more wonderful years together. I LOVE MY HUSBAND.
wow. Yann is older then i thought... :P haha cute story! i love it! its like one of the ones you would read in a book or something! :) now you gotta write about that first kiss funny story. :P
ReplyDeleteHAHAHAHA, What a bad mom I am, lol. Forgetting my son's birth date... will write the post about the kiss another day ;)
ReplyDelete