Back in June/July, I started biking. I love biking. It has less impact on my bad joints, and I love taking my time looking at my surroundings when I do it. I actually get to notice things I wouldn't otherwise. I biked a minimum of 10 km and a maximum of 20-25 km, depending on the weather, time I go out and Marc's on call duties. One day, in July, after exhausting myself cycling in the wind back to our apartment and having swallowed a bunch of unwanted bugs, I noticed a lump in my right inner thigh, just above my knee. At first, it didn't really bother me but slowly, it became painful and kept me up at night. For me to say that something is painful is huge. I have a great tolerance for pain. My C-sections were a walk in the park compared to the pain I have had with my R.A, so I knew something was up.
I called my doctor and was able to see him by the end of August. He didn't know what it was, and first thought it might be a nodule due to my R.A. I knew it wasn't because I have seen them before and this wasn't one of them. He ordered an ultrasound to be done in Lethbridge but this didn't happen until November 24th, 2015. I waited for two months for this darn ultrasound. Seriously! Since July until half way through December, I had trouble sleeping, and insomnia became my new norm.
November 24th came, and I finally had the ultrasound. A week later the results came back but neither the doctor nor the ultrasound people could tell me what this lump was, so my doctor ordered a biopsy.
December 09th, 2015
I had my biopsy.
Between the time the lump started to get painful until a week before I found out the result of the biopsy, I tried to look for similar stories to mine, online. But I couldn't find anything until a few days before I had my biopsy. My mind went into overdrive. I couldn't find peace. I had so many questions. Sleep wasn't happening, and my worries went through the roof. I got on my knees and prayed to my Father in Heaven and told him that if what I had was exactly what I thought I had, then I was ready for it. I told him that I would take it and deal with it with his help and love for me. I felt comfort and knew that a new trial was ahead, before I could give it a name. Although I didn't want this trial, I knew it was there and I will have to deal with it. I felt at PEACE! A peace that he loves me, that he is near me, and that I would be looked after, no matter what the outcome was.
A week after the biopsy, we found out that my samples were sent to Calgary for further testing.
December 24, 2015
Exactly a month to the day I had the ultrasound, I found out I had cancer. Stage 1 leiomyosarcoma he said. Believe me or not, I was relieved to know. I was relieved to not have to guess or wonder any longer. Of course, nothing really prepares you to hear your doctor announce that you have cancer. What a nasty word it is! After taking in the news, I let a teardrop fall gently off my cheeks, took a deep breath, tried not to lose it in Dr Yawney's office, and off we started doing blood tests, X-rays, and he started making phone calls and sending requests for medical appointments in Lethbridge and Calgary.
Once all that was done, we went home. Marc went back to work to tell his boss about it, and came home. Emotions were still raw, and I felt like I didn't have to be strong anymore so, naturally, I broke down, in the comfort of our two bedroom apartment. I called my family. Marc talked to his. He sent texts to our ward leaders and a couple of our friends. I texted my dear friend, and only her. I couldn't talk! Our phone started ringing. Family members were calling to offer support, and words of comfort. Church leaders did the same, and my dear friend called too. She offered help, comforting words and took upon herself to let our other friends know about it. More than ever before, I felt deep gratitude for her and the friendship we have. Chad, the elder's quorum president, came over and gave me a priesthood blessing. It was so powerful I could literally hear the faith in the blessing and witnessed faith in action. He reminded me of the love my Father in Heaven has for me. He told me that if I continued to believe, my faith would make me whole, and that our family would be taken care of. My faith would make me whole!
After I composed myself, we readied ourselves for our Christmas Eve festivities. After all, it was still a joyous time, a time to celebrate the birth of baby Jesus. This same baby who I knew had saved me already. Uncle David and aunt Celia came to visit that night. We laughed and had a nice visit, and for a short time I was able to "forget" about the C word. Marc asked me to write about it, so our boys could read it later. I tried! I really did! The first four days I was able to write a little but it somehow became too hard after that.
January 05, 2016
I had a CT Scan done in Lethbridge. The wait was long but the procedure was really fast.
January 07, 2016
I had an appointment with Dr Lloyd Mack, a sarcoma specialist, in Calgary. He reviewed the CT Scan pictures and announced that everything looked good. No sign of cancer in my lungs. Great news for me since my type of cancer tends to spread to the lungs. No metastasis he said. He touched the tumor in my inner thigh and felt confident that he could remove it all in one shot. He had better! :). All in all the visit to Calgary was worth the drive, and the news was GREAT to hear.
January 11th, 2016
I had an MRI done in Lethbridge. Waiting time was long, and the procedure quite lengthy, a whole hour. I should have napped while I was in the machine. :). My awesome friend looked after our boys, fed us, and let us crash her family home evening. It was a good day!
Since finding out I have cancer, I have had days where worries would creep into my mind, and tears would drop unexpectedly. I have had good days and bad days, but not once did I ask "why me?". I am not mad. I take it one day at the time. Since the visit to Calgary, I feel even more hopeful. I know it is hard on my husband too. I wish he didn't have to deal with it, because yes he does deal with it as much as I do. However, I am glad he is with me, near me, walking hand in hand with me through it all.
I have learned that googling about my type of cancer is a big NO NO. It is depressing! I have learned that I don't like to say out loud that I have cancer. I try not to say it out loud. I have learned that I need to humble myself in order to receive help from Marc's family, from our friends, and our ward family. I wish I had my parents near me, and my siblings too but I know they pray for me, and equally wish that I was near them. I still think life is good. Life is good when you are surrounded by genuine people who care, love and want to help you go through it. I have felt people's faith, and prayers, and fast on my behalf over the past few weeks. Today more than ever, I am grateful for the gospel in my life. Grateful for my membership in the Church. Grateful for my Heavenly Father and his son Jesus Christ.
As more people are finding out about me, I thought I would share this on my blog, since there are only a handful of people that I actually know who read this (plus some anonymous ones). You won't hear or read about it on Facebook. I am not sure if I will post about it often. Maybe just the good news :). I can't wait to hear when I will have the surgery to remove the lump.
![]() |
| A pic so you have an idea where it is. In a sick way, I actually like this pic. I know weird me :). |

You are one amazing woman. Such Courage! I look up to you so much! Glad we have you guys in our lives!
ReplyDeleteThank you Indie! We are equally glad to have you in our lives.
DeleteGraziella I don't really even know what to say right now, just that I love you, you are amazing, and your faith and example has made me a better person. I don't even need to say that your Heavenly Father loves you because you already know it. You will be in my thoughts and prayers daily.
ReplyDeleteThank you Kalinda for your thoguhts and prayers on my behalf. Love you too.
Delete