Now that my babies are (almost), no longer considered toddlers, I find that I finally have more time for myself.
Even though we do a lot of fun things together, I am often able to enjoy an hour or two, here and there to craft, read, put my feet up and enjoy a movie on my own. Time really is a luxury when you think about it.
Before, I had to convince myself that taking time off "parenting" was not a selfish thing. I had to make time for myself, and occasionally was "kicked out" of my house, by a loving husband, to take that time a mother so needs and deserves.
Today, although our days are still, somewhat
I am aware that some mothers have to work and I honestly wish, at times, that I could be out and have a career, some kind of a "social" life. I do admire these working mothers for the great sacrifice they make, because, it surely cannot be easy for them to do so. Some of the greatest role models I have in my life are mothers that, for a reason or another, worked outside the house. They were, are wonderful example of strength, and undeniably care(d) and love(d) their children as much as I am loving mine.
I love being a mother! It drives me insane sometimes but at the end of the day, when all is well, I cannot imagine not being a mother. I will dread/hate the crazy, insane moments, and love the happy, normal moments.
Having gain all that "free" time doesn't necessarily mean that being a mother nowadays has become easy, stress free, drama/tantrum free, etc... But it definitely feels great to have some time for yourself.
One thing I truly enjoy as a mother, is the impact my boys have on me. They have the ability to make me want to better myself in different aspects of my life. They often encourage or gently push me to create, to learn, cultivate "talents" I often forget I have. They truly make me want to be my best. I dislike baking, but for them I will always make an effort to bake. Not because I feel like I need to but just because I truly want to do it for them. Halloween is not my favorite thing, but I will make an effort for them, because I want to and not because I have to.
One thing I wish wouldn't happen is for a mother to be sick, either at the same time than her kids, or before her kids or EVER. This past couple days I have been really sick, and man is it ever a challenge to take care of your babies when you can barely take care of yourself. Mothers really shouldn't be allowed to get sick.
Here is one of my favorite quote from Elder M. Russell Ballard:

AH! you've been sick? That sucks! My boys (all three) have been sick the last week. In some miraculous way I've avoided it. What a week!
ReplyDeleteYes, I have been quite sick, lol... feeling a bit better today.
Delete