Tuesday, October 02, 2012

The proposal!

I was watching the movie the proposal recently and couldn't help but laugh and think about the day Marc proposed to me. We always make a joke about the way I responded to his proposal. So here it goes:

It was January 01 2002, Marc came to visit me (well, he told me he came to see some friends but we all knew that was a lie, lol.) in Tahiti, and stayed with my family for 3 weeks.

On new year's eve, we went to my uncle's house to celebrate the new year. We sang, danced and laughed all night long. The party went on until 5 or 6 in the morning. Marc and I talked a lot that night. Before he came we were just good/best friends, and have gotten to know each other mostly through letters and emails. I'll tell the story of how we met and became good friends in another post :).
So, we talked a lot that night and didn't sleep at all. Around 7 or so, we decided to walk down town, and just hang out. We went to the nice "park" like place where the harbor is and started falling asleep on the benches. When we finally woke up, maybe 1 hour later, Marc took me by the hand and sat me on another bench. We were near the ocean. There was a beautiful and big sail boat parked there. It was really a beautiful day and a beautiful place to be at.
So, he sat me on the bench, held my hand, and started going down on his knee. Of course, I knew what he was doing and just let him proposed to me. You know how the rest goes. Tears coming down my cheeks, big hugs and kisses and a loud and cheery yes to end this joyful moment.
Well, that wasn't quite what happened that day. Tears did come down my cheeks but they weren't quite the happy kind of tears people would expect. They were more like freaking out kind of tears. I looked at Marc and just started panicking asking him all kinds of questions like "where are we going to live?" "What about my school?", "What are we going to do for jobs?" etc etc.... I knew he was the one for me, but just had so many questions running through my head that I never actually had time to ever say YES to him until the day we got married which was 11 months and 20 days later.

We always laughed at it every time we think about this moment. I did LOVE Marc then but sure LOVE him even more today.

5 comments: