Friday, July 08, 2016

Good time with family!

Last Sunday, Marc's younger brother texted me to let me know that their sister was coming down to southern Alberta, with her husband and daughters on Wednesday. He wondered if we would be interested in getting together for supper, potluck style, so we could all visit, and catch up on what was new in each others lives. Of course, we had to do it! We honestly don't see each other enough as it is so there was no way we were missing this.

Wednesday came, we put some ribs in the oven at noon, on low, so it would cook slowly until we live at 5pm, to finish it off on the barbecue in Lethbridge. The boys kept asking when we were leaving for uncle J's place to play with the girls. So once papa got home, we packed the van and off we went. The boys were so happy! They fell asleep in the car and it was a welcome nap.

Four, out of the five siblings were reunited, each with their respective families, and it was a blast. We got to celebrate our brother in law's birthday with good food, the birthday song, and delicious cake. The kids were running around playing, and laughing, and screaming while the adults stayed upstairs, visiting, and laughing, and eating.

It truly was a great time and I wished they did it more often. I wondered if they knew how lucky they were to live close enough to each other that they could do things together, be part of each other's lives and have their nieces and nephews around. I wish I could do that with my siblings. As brothers and sisters, we are so close but with the distance between them and me, I don't get to physically be a part of their lives, and celebrations. It is one of the hardest thing for me to cope with here. I see their lives through pictures, messages, and phone calls but miss all the untold details, and anecdotes that makes me a stranger among my own family. I hate this part but I chose to follow my sweet husband so this is one of those sacrifices that I have to make.

I am hoping for more times like this so the boys could grow up around cousins just like I did, and not be strangers in their own families.

We had a blast! I have no pictures to add to this post but my sister in law took a few, and the sibling ones they did were hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment